Holiday Lights Safety Tips
There is something about Christmas lights at night that can light up your day. SERVPRO® of South Kenosha County wants to make sure you’re worry free when using indoor/outdoor Christmas lights this year. Here are a few tips to follow:
- Read manual of your products to ensure you’re using them correctly
- Examine Light Strings
- Double check to make sure there are no burnt out lights or frayed electrical cords
- Replace burnt out bulbs
- Make sure outdoor lights and extension cords are weather-resistant and made for outdoor use
- Elevate plugs and connectors so snow, water, or debris does not get into the connectors.
- Keep ladders and decorations away from power lines
- Don’t hang with nails or staples
- Don’t want to cut through the wiring in the cords, instead try safety clips
- Keep lights up for a limited time.
- Preferable 90 days
- Lights should be approved by Underwriters Laboratory (UL)
- Double check that the approval is shown on the tag of the lights
- Use a timer system when you’re going to be away from your home.
To ensure a safer Christmas, double check that you’re being safe in all areas this season. Your friends at SERVPRO® of South Kenosha County is here to help inform everyone.
If you see signs of trouble, give us a call – (262) 332 7044.