Tips for a First Timer
Ready to Respond! Shown are our air movers, these will be deployed onsite once it has entered its drying phase.
Concerned about a water loss and not sure what to do next? Don’t worry, the professionals at SERVPRO of South Kenosha County know how to help and educate you along the way. Check out some tips!
Emergency Water Damage Tips
- Shut off the water source if possible.
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks under furniture legs.
- Hang furs and leather goods separately at room temperature.
- Remove Oriental or other colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Do not use a regular vacuum to remove water.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of areas where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
- Do not leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpeting.
Water Damage Services
- Emergency Response: Reduce Loss Severity/Pretesting for Restorability.
- Contents Cleaning Specialists: On-Site or Move Out.
- Structural Restoration Services.
- Large Loss Completion with Trained Crew Leaders
Are you Covered For That Loss?
Majority of the contents are off the ground. Homeowners awaiting SERVPRO to show up and start restoring.
WOWZERS! Those storms really hit hard last week! Storms this bad don’t come often, but when they do, we want you to be prepared!
Have you made sure your insurance policy is up to date with full coverage for your needs? Are you under insured or not insured for sump pump coverage? Did you find this out after the storm tore through this town?
As we talk with our local insurance agents, we remind our agents the importance of this coverage. We have been around the block a few too many times. Our job is to see what is happening out in the field and relay that to the insurance agents to ensure we are both taking care of our clients. Sharing experiences, job photos, and damage cost, shows them why this really is important for both of our clients. It is a team effort for all of us to be taken care of. Give the professionals the chance to make sure things are done right.
Minor things that can assist in a storm event:
- Keeping an eye out for your sump pump: during a storm, check on it every hour or so
- Do not forget about your neighbors, especially if it is their second home
- Check your gutters for clogged debris
- Move contents to a higher location to prevent secondary damage
- Consider a generator: this can be a tremendous asset if the power is out
- Have a back up battery operated sump pump that can kick in when power goes out
- Mop up standing water
- Use a wet/dry vacuum if needed
If your basement needs restoration, give us a call
Fourth of July – Independence Day
Firefighter on scene putting out a grill fire.
It is going to be a hot one this year! The Fourth of July is on a Saturday this year, which means a lot of people will be outside, grilling, and hanging out. As we get together with one another it is important to remember the safety of grilling. Check out below for some tip and tricks about your grill. Stay safe this weekend everyone!
General grilling tips:
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
Before you use your grill:
- Check the major connection points between the gas (propane) tank hose and the regulator and cylinder, and where the hose connects to the burners. Tighten if loose.
- Check the gas (propane) tank hose for the potential (gas) leaks. To do that:
- Apply a light soap and water solution to the hose using a brush or spray bottle.
- Turn the propane tank on. If there is a gas leak, the propane will release bubbles around the hose (big enough to see).
- If there are no bubbles, your grill is safe to use.
- If there are bubbles, turn off the tank and check connections, then have your grill serviced by a professional before using it again.
- If the leak doesn’t stop, call the fire department immediately.
When the grill is on:
- As you are cooking, if you smell gas, turn off the gas tank and burners.
- If the leak stops immediately, get the grill serviced by a professional before using it again.
- If the smell continues, move away from the grill and call the fire department immediately. Do not move the grill.
On average, 8,900 home fires are started by grilling accidents each year. By utilizing these tips can help prevent a serious problem from happening on a memorable weekend.
If something does come up, call SERVPRO of South Kenosha County.
Is your commercial property ready for a disaster?
Almost 50% of businesses do not open back up after a disaster, you can’t afford to be a part of that statistic. SERVPRO® of South Kenosha County has been committed for the past 7 years to ensure that you are not part of that statistic. We offer what is called Emergency Ready Program, we will come out and work with you to compile important information so that everyone in your company knows what to do and who to call in case of disaster. ERP’s are our friendliest tool in the box for our commercial clients. PLUS, you can get it on your mobile device!! HOW COOL! There are so many unique and interesting features that could help your business if you were stuck in an emergency situation. We have been serving customers just like you for years and helping to make it “Like it never even happened.” May local businesses are taking advantage of this FREE opportunity to help ensure that they are prepared and know how to handle the start of something scary.
Call and schedule your ERP appointment! Our marketer, Jim, would love to come educate you and get your business prepared. The cool, calm, and collected feeling you will get from being ready for a situation you may never expect is huge.
Call us at 262-332-7044, we are ready 24/7, 365.
We are dedicated to helping our customers & community when disaster strikes and helping to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Home Fire Safety
The smoke and fire is blazing out of the house. On Scene 242 provided this photo.
Home fires are such a catastrophic event that no one expects to come upon them. When this happens, anyone or anything is at risk and SERVPRO of South Kenosha County wants to make sure you took the right steps to ensure everyone’s safety.
Here are a few tips to ensure everyone’s safety:
- Install smoke detectors on every level, inside and outside sleeping areas
- Test these smoke alarms monthly to guarantee they are running properly
- Have an escape plan and review it with your family
- Test the alarm for your kids so they know what to do if they hear the alarm in a real-life situation
- Practice the escape plan
- Make sure everyone knows how to call 9-1-1
- Never go back inside if a fire has occurred
- Teach everyone how to STOP, DROP, and ROLL if caught on fire
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (262) 332-7044
Cristobal is Heading Towards Wisconsin
*Milwaukee Journal Sentinel* Map of the path the Cristobal is going.
ARE YOU READY??
The rain is coming, and we are prepared to help the community! While we may be inundated with work, here are some things you can do to mitigate the situation by yourself until we arrive.
Here are some do's and don'ts for when the storm rolls in
- Take a deep breathe, everything will be okay
- Get the source of the loss fixed. Ensure that no more water will come in is huge, we do not want to have round 2 of flooding in the basement.
- Contact your insurance company to see if you are covered
- Remove excess water by either mopping or blotting.
- Move personal contents to higher ground (even those memorabilia items)
- Do not panic, we are professionals and can help restore what is possible.
- Check out our website to see how we have dried out hardwood floors, basements, etc
- Do not use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Do not leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Do not leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
Call us at 262-332-7044. We are open and have crews on call 24/7!
*Photo taken from Milwaukee Journal Sentinel*
As We Go Back To Work
We are in this together as a community!
I hope that you, your family, staff, and friends are all safe through this unprecedented pandemic. I know that the coronavirus has impacted all of us in some form and has affected the ways we operate our businesses. We are keeping you and all our first responders in our thoughts and prayers as we continue to watch these events unfold. I would normally wait to contact you until after an event such as this, but because of the type of business you have, I wanted to make sure you were informed on what can be done. SERVPRO is being called by numerous business owners and community leaders to perform necessary bioremediation services to clean, disinfect, and sanitize their facilities. Our cleanup procedures are in accordance with the CDC recommendations. The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line meet this standard and carry the EPA-registered emerging pathogens claims. We are here and ready to aid you in your time of need, providing these services so your facility can be cleaned and ready for business to resume. We are in this with you. I’m here for you, so feel free to email, call or text me for more information. I am available 24 hours a day. Please continue to stay safe and maintain social distance as we all do our part to combat this and lessen the spread of this horrible virus. You are all in our prayers.
SERVPRO of South Kenosha County // 262-332-7044
Water Damage Timeline
When we get a water loss, we load up the van and get to work. Time is of the essence.
Ever wonder what happens to everything in your home when you have a water loss? Check out this breakdown for the industry standard.
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
SERVPRO of South Kenosha County is always here to help! // 262-332-7044
Containments are Important Too
This containment was build on an multiple unit fire job. Containments are for all types of losses: fire, water, mold, biohazard, etc.
At SERVPRO of South Kenosha County we strive to help keep your business running while we handle the disaster. It is a goal of our company to keep you the most operable while we do our job properly as well. One way to separate the noise and environment of the loss from your workplace production is to set up a containment. This contraption will keep that environment within limits or controlled by our set up. This photo is showing one of our finely built containments, by our highly trained crew. This is one of the first steps production makes when coming on scene. While the managers and leaders are off talking through the scope, the physical work begins. This is an important step to begin with. Almost all commercial losses will see some type of containment set up based on the building layout.
Area containment is very helpful in the loss process, what you can’t see, still exists. First and foremost it has the ability to prevent further damage to health and even property. Mitigating, or reducing the severity, by taking these steps truly play a huge part in getting the job done properly and efficiently.
If you have questions about containment or anything in general, call the office and ask for Marcella. (:
Proactive or Reactive.. We Are Here to Help!
We are here to assist in all needs for your business. Call us to get educated on what your business needs to get back to the proper health standards.
SERVPRO is Here to Help during this time of need
During this unprecedented time caused by the global pandemic of coronavirus, this is a reminder to our customers that we are specialists in cleaning services, and we adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitation standards.
We are prepared to clean and disinfect your home or business, according to protocols set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform on a daily basis.
The CDC encourages cleaning of high-touch surfaces such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, light switches, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets and tables. Other spaces mentioned in the CDC’s guidance for commercial spaces include:
- Kitchen/Food Areas
- Retail Spaces
- Water Fountains
- Sales Counters
- Carpets and Rugs
- Stair Handrails
- Elevator Cars
- Playground Equipment
- Fitness Equipment
The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line carry the EPA-approved emerging pathogens claims. While there is currently no product tested against this particular strain of the coronavirus, we are following all guidelines as provided by the CDC and local authorities.
Call Today for a Proactive Cleaning
If your home or business needs deep cleaning services, call the experts today – SERVPRO of South Kenosha County, 262-332-7044