A roof with hail damage
Even the smallest hailstorm can cause significant damage. The impact from hail can cause denting, cracking, and breaking of a multitude of surfaces. If a home is older or poorly maintained, the damage from a hailstorm may be more severe. Hail can cause damage to both the interior of your home and the exterior of your home, as well as any exterior attachments.
Exterior Damage – The roof takes most of the hit and depending on the material of the roof it could crack, split, peel, chip, or dent. In some cases, windows could break, and if there is a skylight there is a higher risk of them breaking too. Aluminum and wood siding may be dented by side-swept hail. Vinyl siding has an increased risk of breaking under heavy hail impact.
Interior Damage – Depending on the condition of the structure, hail could melt and cause damage to the interior. If you start to see dripping or dark spots in the ceiling drywall, you should look up in the attic to check the insulation to make sure its not wet and causing more damage. Then you should look around in your attic and find the location where the water is coming in, so you can tell a roofing contractor. If the hail breaks any windows or skylights, rain and hail can get inside and cause significant damage.
Exterior Attachments – Hail can cause damage to air conditioning units, satellite dishes, antennas, and other attachments on the outside of a home.
If your home sustains interior water damage from a hailstorm, rapid response and drying is important. Give the professionals at SERVPRO South Kenosha a call anytime.
Getting Rid of Mildew Odor After Flooding: Here's How
Your home is decontaminated, your contents clean and your life getting back to normal after flooding. You are finally able to take a deep breath, but when you do, you notice that something smells off. You take a whiff just to make sure, and yes, there is that smell again—the smell of mold and mildew. Despite your cleanup efforts, your home still has that telltale sign that a flood recently invaded your home. If you are tired of dealing with the aftereffects of a flood, there are a few things you should and should not do for odor removal from flooding. Here are a few things you should NOT do:
• Ignore the smell
• Think that bleach alone will kill the odor
• Cover the odor up with other scents
• Close the doors and windows.
Doing either of these things can put your home and your family at risk. Instead, do the following:
Contact a Professional
A professional flood remediation expert in South Kenosha, is the only person who can really help you kill post-flooding odors. This is because such an expert combats the source of the odor and not just the odor itself.
Act in the Meantime
In the meantime, there are steps you can take for odor removal from flooding on your own. First and foremost, open the windows. Doing so will help air out your home and provide for better circulation.
Next, remove any furniture that smells of mold and mildew. Whether or not the furniture is salvageable can be determined later. For now, your goal is to remove the odor, and any affected furniture is allowing that odor to remain in your house.
Finally, wash items that can be laundered. These include clothing, bedding, and draperies.
Once our team arrives to begin odor removal from flooding, it can begin to tackle the heart of the issue. This may include drying out and deep cleaning your carpets, performing flood cuts on affected drywall and deep cleaning furniture.
Tips to Prevent Dryer Fires in Your South Kenosha County Home
Did you know that dryer vent fires are the second leading cause of residential fires in the nation? If you are not regularly servicing your dryer, you run the risk of falling victim to a dryer vent fire. Here are some things to keep in mind to ensure that your dryer keeps the heat inside:
- Use a professional installer.
- Regularly service the equipment.
- Keep the surrounding area free of flammable materials.
- Clean the lint filter before and after each load of laundry.
- Use only rigid or flexible metal venting material.
- Ensure air exhaust vent pipe is unrestricted.
- Do not overload.
- Inspect gas lines.
- Use the correct plug and outlet.
- Never run the dryer when you leave home or are sleeping.
While these steps are simple and easy to carry out, they are also crucial in preventing a dryer fire. If you find yourself dealing with the heat outside of the dryer, call SERVPRO South Kenosha County 262-332-7044 for our fire and smoke damage restoration services. We are always here to help!
5 Things to Try When Your Smoke Alarm Beeps
Installing a fire alarm in each room of your home is very important. The worst thing about them is, when one of the alarms starts beeping. It can take a while to figure out which one is beeping. Then, how do you make it stop? Here are five things to try.
- Change the Batteries. Start simple and change the batteries. Even if you just did it, it is possible one of them is faulty or you accidentally mixed up an old one with a new one.
- Use the Silent Button. Your fire alarm has a test/silent button. Try to use that to stop the beeping. This is probably also a good time to find the manual (or look it up online if it was thrown away) for ways to specifically test your brand of alarm.
- Reset the Alarm. A slightly more complicated solution is to reset the whole device. Again, the manual or YouTube can provide help for how to conduct a full alarm reset. Do not get discouraged here, decide that it is not worth the effort, and leave the alarm unarmed. Fire damage occurs when you least expect it, so it is important to keep all your detectors up and running.
- Check for Dust. Some detectors are hardwired to your electrical system instead of using batteries. If dust is affecting the wiring, that could be a reason that your alarm is beeping. Use a keyboard air blower to clear out the dust build-up.
- Replace the Whole Thing. When no other solution will stop the beeping, it is time to replace the detector. They do not last forever, and chances are that it’s been longer than you realize since you installed your fire alarm. Don’t put this off. The safety of your family could depend on functioning smoke detectors.
Troubleshooting your smoke detector can be a headache, but its worth the effort to keep your family safe from fire and smoke damage. If a fire does occur, a fire damage assessment will help determine the cause.
5 Things to Do After A House Fire
A fire occurring in your house can be both surprising, overwhelming, and confusing. One can easily feel confused about what it is that they should do after going through such an experience. However, reading up and learning about what it is that you can do after a house fire can make you better equipped with dealing with such a situation. So, in order to help you protect yourself and your property, here are 5 things that you can do after a house fire.
Call an Emergency Helpline
Of course, the first step in any emergency is to call an emergency helpline. However, you must first ensure that everyone within your house is outside first. The first responders will arrive at your home and will focus their attention on the safety of you and others who live in your house. After all of the house occupants are out of danger, they will then focus their energy on saving the structural integrity of your house.
Take Some Time
While the first respondents are working on dousing the flames, make sure to take time for yourself so that you can process the situation. Try to remind yourself and those who surround you that everything will be okay as spiraling will only make you feel more stressed and will not help the process go any faster. Be sure to take everything one step at a time so that you do not overwhelm yourself.
Contact Your Insurance Agency
After you have collected your thoughts, contact your insurance agency and ask for their timeline on securing your property, which includes the removal of any standing water as well as covering the doors and windows of your house. The entire process depends on the amount of damage your house has taken, both from the fire and the dousing. Your insurance will help in starting this process for you and will then authorize their company for restoration to secure your property.
Find A Safe Place
As your house, despite the ventilation holes, will now be filled with chemicals, which lowers the air quality drastically, to prevent any health issues, you must then find a safe place to stay for the time being. In fact, the restoration and recovery process can take several months to finish, which is why most people end up residing in a relative's house rather than a hotel. So, be sure to be monetarily prepared.
Secure Your House
If you are in a situation where the fire department tells you that your house is safe to live in, you will still have to take certain precautions, such as boarding up your house. This will prevent any outside impurities from entering your house.
All in all, knowing the steps that you must take after a house fire will not only help you but will also make you feel more at peace. So, if you ever do go through something like this, we hope that you do not, you will not feel confused rather you will, by default, go into autopilot and start taking the required steps.
Why SERVPRO of South Kenosha County Can Handle Any Size Job
White SERVPRO is comprised of many individually owned and operated franchises, like one huge family, we work together when needed to provide the absolute best service for our customers. This is never more important or as obvious as when a storm hits. Local franchises can handle a lot, but in the event of large-scale disasters such as when hurricanes, floods and cold snaps afflict entire counties, the incredible SERVPRO team comes together. This kind of unification allows SERVPRO to truly take on any sized job.
Just as our franchise stands ready to help our customers every day locally, so do our heroes in green stand ready to travel for storm and other large damages when another area needs us. So, when inclement weather or large-scale disaster looms on the horizon, you can count on SERVPRO to handle all your fire, water and mold remediation needs.
Give us a call anytime you need us. We are available 24/7/365 at 262-332-7044.
SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile
SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile
As many as 50% of businesses close following a disaster, according to the latest research. Of the businesses that survive, many of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. And knowing you are "Ready for whatever happens" speaks trust to your clients and employees that in the event your business is affected by a disaster, they don’t necessarily have to be.
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
- A no cost assessment of your facility. This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
- A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency. It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects. But it will save a lot of time if ever needed.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster. This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO of South Kenosha as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider. You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and close by.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin. This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you time and money.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information. Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are "Ready for whatever happens."
Ready to Get Started? Call SERVPRO of South Kenosha County today at 262-332-7044 for your FREE Emergency Ready Plan.
SERVPRO Storm Response
SERVPRO Storm Response
The team here at SERVPRO of South Kenosha is ready for whatever happens, no matter the time, night or day. When it comes to fire and water damage, our professionals work endlessly to make sure our customers are happy and that we walk them through each step of the cleaning process.
We are Highly Trained Storm Damage Specialists
As leaders in the storm and water damage industry, we have advanced training and expertise, not to mention a tremendous amount of hands on experience. We use this training and experience to quickly dry your home and restore it back to pre-storm condition.
We are Quick to Any Size Disaster
When a storm hits your home or business, you need help immediately. Our quick response will help prevent secondary damage and help reduce restoration costs.
We Have the Resources to Handle Storms and Disasters
We can access the resources and personnel of 1,700 Franchises to handle major storms and disasters. We also have access to special Disaster Recovery Teams strategically located throughout the country to respond to catastrophic storms and events.
Locally Owned and Operated
SERVPRO of South Kenosha is locally owned and operated, so we are part of this community too. When you have a storm event or flooding emergency, we are in the area and ready to help.
Have Storm or Flood Damage?
Call SERVPRO of South Kenosha today (262) 332-7044.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned
How many times have you heard, “We are in unprecedented times?” Probably a lot. As a business, it is a call-to-action and SERVPRO is taking action!
The following statistics were shared form our corporate headquarters: 75% of businesses want to visibly show their cleaning practices to employees and customers, while 65% of businesses want to show “proof” of their increased cleaning protocols.
The Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned (CSC) program is designed to provide our communities with a way to know that a structure has been cleaned, sanitized and disinfected to minimize harmful pathogens. If a structure is sanitized and disinfected as part of the CSC program, a window decal shield will be left at the structure as well as a separate window decal which should be dated by the franchise to let everyone know when it was last sanitized and disinfected. This can be scheduled as a one time or a recurring service.
The world has changed what it means to be clean, so let customers and employees know that SERVPRO of South Kenosha, best choice in cleanup and restoration, has sanitized, disinfected and treated highly touchable surfaces at your business. SERVPRO of South Kenosha wants you to feel comfortable in your place of business. That is why the nation’s #1 choice in water restoration, can now provide you with proactive cleanings, a higher cleaning standard for the recent trying times everyone is adjusting to. Look for the Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned seal outside all participating locations, and you can rest at ease knowing the facility has been cleaned, disinfected and sanitized by the best in the business.
Here are some SERVPRO cleaning products.
Spring has sprung. A lot of people can relate that cleaning is not their favorite thing in the world. When do you start spring cleaning? Are you a “get it all done in one day” type of person or do you take your time? Here are some easy tips on how to prepare for spring cleaning.
- Make sure you are stocked up on cleaners. For spring cleaning, you just need the basics which is an all-purpose cleaner, window cleaner, and a degreaser.
- Stock up on trash bags, paper towels or rags, and candles or essential oils. (who does not love a good clean smell?)
- Make a cleaning schedule, matching the days to tasks.
- When you are finished cleaning the inside of your home, you can move to the outside.
- Power Washing
- Wash windows screens
- Preparing the garden
- Cleaning out the garage
- Cleaning the car
As always if disaster happens don’t forget to give us a call!