Tips for New Homeowners
Looking at buying a new home? If you’re a new homeowner, SERVPRO of South Kenosha County has some tips for you:
Scout the neighborhood:
- Check out the neighborhood on different days of the week and even at different times of the day.
- Consider schools and other nearby places you can indulge in
- Check the crime status
- See if there is a neighborhood watch program
- Ask neighbors about the Pro’s they can trust
Negotiate buyer’s terms:
- Don’t always take what the give you the first time around. Work in the little things.
- Insist on a full written disclosure from the seller documenting everything about remodeling, old damage, repairs, leaks, mold, etc.
- If the previous owners are downsizing, ask to buy tools off them
- Make it easy for yourself when you are trying to unpack. Color coordinate by room to make unpacking a breeze.
- Pack backwards- Leave the important things until the end so when you unpack they are the first things you take out.
Start small and finish projects:
- Don’t take on too many projects at on time. Before you know it, your whole house will be torn up with additional stress put on you. Plan these things out and remember to double check your budget.
- Don’t learn to live with unfinished projects
- Things happen unexpectedly all the time and there is nothing you can do, but fix it. Make sure you are saving a little extra something in case this were to happen to you. Especially if you are living in an older home and the appliances haven’t been updated in a while.
- Clean everything
- Change the locks
- Check fire alarms and take other safety measures