Understanding Fire Damage Cleanup
We're here to help anyone who runs into this unfortunate situation.
When a fire rips through your home or business, the smoke damage and Fire Damage can be overwhelming. You don't know where to begin with your fire cleanup. You're dealing with a smoke smell that won't go away, smoke damage, soot damage, and fire damage. Things you didn’t imagine worrying about.
Fire in the home and fire in the business can cause extensive damage. Fire damage restoration is not a job you should handle on your own. SERVPRO of South Kenosha County professionals can deal with commercial and residential fire damage. In South Kenosha we can assist you with fire damage restoration from start to finish, well be there with you.
(262) 332 7044
Decisions after the Fire
Once the fire is put out and the fire department considers the property to be safe, the home or business, you have decisions to make. You may think you can board up your property and begin the fire cleanup process, but this is a job for the professionals. When residential or commercial fire damage strikes, you will be left with fire damage, soot damage, and smoke damage. Your contents may be destroyed, and you may be left in distraught.
The smoke smell will be so heavy you are afraid it will never go away. SERVPRO of South Kenosha County can handle the fire cleanup and fire damage restoration job for you. We begin by choosing to board up your windows for safety purposes after evaluating the extent of fire damage after you have experienced fire in the home or business.
We will be able to deal with every aspect of your fire cleanup job after there has been a fire in the house or fire in the business. The process begins by using various types of industrial chemicals to clean all the surfaces that have been affected by fire damage, soot damage, and smoke damage.
We can handle commercial fire damage in addition to residential damage. The size of the property doesn't matter. We will put the processes in place to board up the property to protect it from intrusion, eliminate the smoke smell, and tackle every type of damage that has occurred.
The use of the proper tools, technique, and cleaning products will effectively address soot damage, as well as every other type of damage that has taken place.
If it is possible to salvage your property after residential or commercial fire damage, SERVPRO of South Kenosha County will help you to put this terrible time behind you.
Residential and commercial fire damage isn't easy to repair, but a professional service will be with you every step of the way to help you cope during this difficult time. You will be able to get back to a normal life once your cleanup and restoration is over.
SERVPRO of South Kenosha County -
(262) 332 7044
Offering a FREE CE Class!
SAVE THE DATE – THURSDAY MAY 10, 2018
YOU’RE INVITED! SAVE THE DATE because SERVPRO of South Kenosha County is hosting a FREE CE class on Thursday, May 10th. The 4-hour course is on Restorative Drying for Water Damage followed by a FREE Italian lunch buffet! We are hosting at the Double Tree in Pleasant Prairie across from the Prime Outlet Mall.
This is a great way to further your education on the science of water restoration and how it impacts the insurance industry. Realtors, this is a great was to gain knowledge of situations that your new homeowners may run into and come to you for.
Registration time is 7:30 AM and class starts PROMPTLY at 8:00 AM. Please come prepared and on time as we will NOT be able to let anyone in late under any circumstances.
RSVP now if you’re interested in attending! If you’re still unsure at this time, no worries, I will be keeping in touch and checking back in!
Check out the flyer attached to see everything that you will be learning!
** Wisconsin & Illinois individuals receive credits **
Contact our office with any questions you may have: (262) 332-7044
SPREAD THE WORD AROUND THE OFFICE & WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU ALL THERE!
SPRING is HERE
Spring has Sprung
MARCH 20, 2018
It’s the first day of Spring! The exact time the vernal equinox is supposed to occur is 12:15pm, according to the Farmer’s Almanac.
This time of the year is where everyone gets excited when the season phenomena’s start showing up, for example, the flowers starting to bloom, trees budding again, and migration.
The warmer weather gives people the opportunity to spend more time outdoors, especially with the longer hours of sunlight. Post on our Facebook Page and tell us some of your favorite spring hobbies. (https://www.facebook.com/SERVPROSouthKenosha/)
What I’m most excited for is the beautiful weather, the changing outdoors with all the color pop, and rollerblading into summer.
Tips For Traveling
Whether you are traveling alone or with your friends or family, it is always good to ensure that you are taking full caution before leaving for a safe trip. SERVPRO of South Kenosha County is here to give you a few tips before you travel on your next trip.
- Leave an itinerary and emergency contact
- Scan a copy of your passport
- Don’t flash cash or valuables
- Save emergency numbers
- Stay connected with someone back home
- Stash money, credit cards and passports in separate places
- Good to keep some money on you and your carry on in case your baggage gets lost
- Study up on your destination
- Ensure the lodging is safe
- Stay healthy, don’t drink the water if not safe.
- Bring a hat
- Bring reusable water bottle
- Tip your housekeeping staff!
- Never carry your wallet in your back pocket
- TAKE LOTS OF PHOTOS
- Bring snacks
- Call your credit card company so it doesn’t get declined
- If you can’t afford to lose it… don’t pack it
- Never check these items: tooth brush, prescription medications, & deodorant
- In case your bag gets lost or stolen, it’s good to keep these close by
Warmer Weather is Coming
As the temperatures increase as we get into the spring season, SERVPRO of South Kenosha County wants to ensure you’re doing all the right things to prevent your house from getting microbial growth. The source of mold growth is where there is moisture, warmth and “food” for mold spores to grow on.
How it Forms:
- Mold spores tend to grow and reproduce in areas that are wet and damp
- In just 24-48 hours, a moist environment shared with the room temperature conditions and an organic food source can lead to growth
- Food source – wood, drywall, cotton, etc.
- Mold loves dark spaces indoors
- Leaking pipes
- Leaks in Rood
- Poor Ventilation
- Wet Clothes
- Your Health:
- Allergic or irritant symptoms
- Toxic symptoms
How to prevent:
- Keeping the moisture in your home low
- If you find any leaks from any source don’t delay fixing them!
- Reduce the humidity
- Air conditioners and dehumidifiers can reduce household humidity
- Don’t let wet clothes sit and pile up
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of South Kenosha County specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 262-332-7044
Here is a link to the CDC’s (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) facts about mold:
Does Your South Kenosha Home Have A Mold Problem?
In South Kenosha, mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today - (262) 332-7044
Tips for New Homeowners
Looking at buying a new home? If you’re a new homeowner, SERVPRO of South Kenosha County has some tips for you:
Scout the neighborhood:
- Check out the neighborhood on different days of the week and even at different times of the day.
- Consider schools and other nearby places you can indulge in
- Check the crime status
- See if there is a neighborhood watch program
- Ask neighbors about the Pro’s they can trust
Negotiate buyer’s terms:
- Don’t always take what the give you the first time around. Work in the little things.
- Insist on a full written disclosure from the seller documenting everything about remodeling, old damage, repairs, leaks, mold, etc.
- If the previous owners are downsizing, ask to buy tools off them
- Make it easy for yourself when you are trying to unpack. Color coordinate by room to make unpacking a breeze.
- Pack backwards- Leave the important things until the end so when you unpack they are the first things you take out.
Start small and finish projects:
- Don’t take on too many projects at on time. Before you know it, your whole house will be torn up with additional stress put on you. Plan these things out and remember to double check your budget.
- Don’t learn to live with unfinished projects
- Things happen unexpectedly all the time and there is nothing you can do, but fix it. Make sure you are saving a little extra something in case this were to happen to you. Especially if you are living in an older home and the appliances haven’t been updated in a while.
- Clean everything
- Change the locks
- Check fire alarms and take other safety measures
Home Fire Safety
Home fires are such a catastrophic event that no one expects to come upon them. When this happens, anyone or anything is at risk and SERVPRO of South Kenosha County wants to make sure you took the right steps to ensure everyone’s safety.
Here are a few tips to ensure everyone’s safety:
- Install smoke detectors on every level, inside and outside sleeping areas
- Test these smoke alarms monthly to guarantee they are running properly
- Have an escape plan and review it with your family
- Test the alarm for your kids so they know what to do if they hear the alarm in a real-life situation
- Practice the escape plan
- Make sure everyone knows how to call 9-1-1
- Never go back inside if a fire has occurred
- Teach everyone how to STOP, DROP, and ROLL if caught on fire
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (262) 332-7044
Faster to your South Kenosha Water Damage Event
SERVPRO of South Kenosha County provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service in South Kenosha
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of South Kenosha County provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of South Kenosha County arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – (262) 332 7044
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of South Kenosha County
SERVPRO of South Kenosha County specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Holiday Lights Safety Tips
There is something about Christmas lights at night that can light up your day. SERVPRO® of South Kenosha County wants to make sure you’re worry free when using indoor/outdoor Christmas lights this year. Here are a few tips to follow:
- Read manual of your products to ensure you’re using them correctly
- Examine Light Strings
- Double check to make sure there are no burnt out lights or frayed electrical cords
- Replace burnt out bulbs
- Make sure outdoor lights and extension cords are weather-resistant and made for outdoor use
- Elevate plugs and connectors so snow, water, or debris does not get into the connectors.
- Keep ladders and decorations away from power lines
- Don’t hang with nails or staples
- Don’t want to cut through the wiring in the cords, instead try safety clips
- Keep lights up for a limited time.
- Lights should be approved by Underwriters Laboratory (UL)
- Double check that the approval is shown on the tag of the lights
- Use a timer system when you’re going to be away from your home.
To ensure a safer Christmas, double check that you’re being safe in all areas this season. Your friends at SERVPRO® of South Kenosha County is here to help inform everyone.
If you see signs of trouble, give us a call – (262) 332 7044.